Tuesday, March 30, 2010

jessica

It's incredible, you know, this life thing.
One moment you have it. You have everything. You're at the top.
And one moment later, death wraps its inevitable hold around you and there is nothing.
A girl one of my friends dated for years and years, his soulmate, passed away two days ago.
The first time I went to a bar (underage, of course), I went with her.
The first time I went dancing (of age), she was there.
Both times I saw Nine Inch Nails, and when I saw Tool, she was there.
We talked about makeup, about life, about careers.
She just graduated from McMaster for nursing and has a lovely job in a hospital.
She has amazing friends and a family who loves her.
She has a soulmate, even though they are no longer together.
And now all of what I just said can be put in the past tense.
At twenty-three, how is it possible that a girl who has everything and who is just beginning her life could leave us?
It makes me angry.
Angry with God, if there is a God.
Angry that I don't know the reason for her passing.
What is it supposed to teach us?
That if you're a good person and you have all that you need in your life, you're just bound to lose it all?
That it just hurts everyone you leave behind when you're gone?
But we need to remember her for the girl she was...
Jessica, you were and are the ray of sunshine in so many people's darkness.
You always had a smile to share and a kind word to say.
You will be dearly missed.
I know you're smiling on us from somewhere.
Until we meet again, I descend from grace in arms of undertow. I will take my place in the great below...

2 comments: