Sunday, May 16, 2010

Sometimes I just need to leave town for a while to put my head back on my shoulders
And think like a human being again
And forget about you and the way you said
"I'm thinking of you, and how much I'm really beginning to like you"
And your face is slipping slowly from my mind
You're not there every day anymore
But you're there sometimes
And that runs me out of town
Again and again
I'm leaving again
Because you're in my head
Your eyes are there and they're staring at me
And I don't want to see them
Or remember that perfect blue
With the flecks of grey
And the straight teeth
And the full lips
And the crooked nose
And the blond curly hair
And the way you spoke
And the sound of your voice
And the way you picked me up
And spun me around your room
And the wooden floors
And the single bed that we crawled into that afternoon
And made love
And the dishes in the corner
And Fraiser on TV
And the way you touched my face
And the way my skin burned
And the way you looked at me
Like you'd never see me again.

You said goodbye at the train station that day
The last time you kissed me
The last time you told me you'd miss me.

Maybe you had the right idea, saying goodbye back then.
I'm still holding on.
I never said goodbye.
I said, "I'll see you soon."

1 comment: